The second LWMEC-144 LEGARE, a patrol craft of the 125-foot class, was designed to enforce Prohibition. Built by the American Brown Boveri Electrical Corporation of Camden, New Jersey, and commissioned on March 17, 1927, it patrolled out of New London, Connecticut. In 1929, the LEGARE pursued and seized a rumrunner, the Flor Del Mar, which was promptly abandoned by its crew. The forsaken schooner was then towed to New London. The LEGARE also conducted countless rescues during its service career while patrolling the Gulf Coast.
On November 1, 1941, in accordance with an Executive Order, LEGARE began to operate as part of the U. S. Navy. Operating in inland and East Coast waters, it tended lighthouses, buoys, and other navigational aids while serving on patrol and rescue duty. During World War II, while stationed at Norfolk, Virginia, it hunted enemy submarines in the Atlantic and the Caribbean Sea. On March 10, 1942, LEGARE was informed that contact had been made with a German submarine eight miles south of Hatteras. It immediately proceeded to the area, made contact, attacked, and deployed all eight depth charges on board. Oil, debris, and air bubbles surfaced, but verification of a hit was not confirmed, even though captured documents were examined following the war's conclusion.
LEGARE was then transferred to patrol and convoy escort duty under the Caribbean Sea Frontier Command, and served valiantly in the area until the end of hostilities. Executive Order returned the LEGARE to the Treasury Department on January 1, 1946 and it served as a rescue vessel and buoy tender for many years. LEGARE was redesignated WMEC-144 in 1966 and served our country with honor until 1968.