Mrs. Rachel Gentry
For those of you who do not know me, my name is Rachel Gentry and I have been appointed to the challenging position of Sector Charleston’s Ombudsman. I have been married 10 years to my husband, Eric, and we have two daughters; Grace is 9 and Sadie is 5 years old. Our family transferred to Charleston from ATC Mobile, AL where I was the lead Ombudsman. Additionally, I was the ombudsman for the CGC Dependable out of Cape May, NJ for the 2 years we were stationed there. Before Cape May, we lived in Elizabeth City, NC where we still own a home and have made wonderful lifelong friends that we met through my ownership of the city's only hand dipped Ice Cream Parlor. Due to military PCS, the business is closed but It’s an experience I’ll never forget!!
My duties as your Ombudsman are to be the liaison between the Sector Commander, Captain Gregory Stump, and our families. Please do not hesitate to call me; I will assist you in any way possible. Specifically as the Ombudsman, I will:
- Support Sector Charleston by creating and maintaining lines of communications from the command to families as well as from families to the command.
- Help Sector Charleston families by providing recommendations for support services and appropriate referral services.
- Facilitate and promote a healthy sense of community among Sector Charleston members and their family members within the unit.
- Serve as a principal source of assistance and support to families during times of local or national emergency, mobilization, deployment or evacuation.
For clarity, I would like to highlight a few items that a unit Ombudsman is not authorized to do, while acting as an Ombudsman:
- Organizing social events for the unit (but as a spouse, I may)
- Providing temporary lodging in the Ombudsman home
- Providing transportation services upon demand
- Providing child care services
- Providing counseling services
- Acting as the sponsor to every incoming family
- Making Red Cross contact for families or passing messages for families
Though I cannot provide these items listed above, I am happy to assist those in need of authorized services and support or in finding the appropriate resource that could.
I want to ensure that everything goes as smooth as possible so our loved ones can focus on their jobs here at Sector Charleston.
Respectfully, Rachel Gentry