MOHAWK's predecessor, the USS/USCGC MOHAWK (WPG-78), was built by Pusey & Jones Corp., Wilmington, Del., and launched 1 October 1934. First assigned patrol and general icebreaking duties on the Hudson and Delaware Rivers, the outbreak of war found her stationed at Cape May, N.J. In accordance with Executive Order No. 8929 of 1 November 1941, Mohawk was directed to serve as part of the naval forces. Assigned North Atlantic escort operations, she launched a total of 14 attacks against submarine contacts between 27 August 1942 and 8 April 1945.
Highlights of her at-sea rescue operations included the 27 August 1942 rescue of 293 survivors from USAT Chatham and the 22 November rescue of 24 men from SS Barberry. Mohawk assumed ice patrol duties 25 May to 14 August 1945, and was directed to return to Treasury Department jurisdiction 1 January 1946.
USS/USCGC MOHAWK (WPG-78) served as a floating museum for several years in Key West, Florida. On July 2, 2012 the ship was scuttled approximately 28 nautical miles off the coast of Captiva Island, Florida. MOHAWK now serves as a Veteran’s Memorial artificial reef and is an excellent diving destination.
c/o Sector Key West
100 Trumbo Point Annex
Key West, FL 33040
(305) 292-8750 Phone
(305) 292-8792 Fax