The CGC HOLLYHOCK (WLB-214) is named after a previous Coast Guard cutter with the same name that served the United States from 1937 through 1982. The original HOLLYHOCK was launched at Defoe Boat and Motorworks in Bay City, MI, and was initially commissioned as part of the fleet operated by the U.S. Lighthouse Service. When this government agency became part of the Coast Guard in 1939, HOLLYHOCK provided 43 additional years of distinguished service before it was decommissioned from the Coast Guard's fleet on Mar 31, 1982. The new HOLLYHOCK was built in 2003 and replaced the CGC BRAMBLE (WAGL-392). It is the 14th Seagoing Buoy Tender build for the Coast Guard by Marinette Marine Corporation in Manitowoc, WI.