Coast Guard Station Niagara History
Fort Niagara was established in 1726 on the northeastern shore of the Niagara River, facing Lake Ontario. "The French Castle," as the fort was nicknamed, was constructed in a region of growing importance to French fur traders. The fort was used as a day mark for the traders.
On March 23, 2001, a Coast Guard small boat was underway from Station Niagara with four crewmembers. After an unfortunate capsizing of their vessel, the crew entered the 36 degree water and two were rescued over four hours later by the Wilson NY Fire Department, while two of the members, Petty Officer 2nd Class Scott Chism and Seaman Chris Ferreby, lost their lives as a result of this incident.