Coast Guard Station Saginaw River History
The U.S. Coast Guard's presence in the Saginaw River area dates back to 1842 when a lighthouse was constructed on a portion of land ceded to the U.S. Government by the Chippewa Indians. The original light was replaced in 1876 by the Saginaw River Rear Range Light, located about three quarters of a mile from the mouth, but still on the west side. Its use as a range light was discontinued in 1964 when the current range light system was put into operation. However, the building continued to serve as the station until December 1980 when the Coast Guard moved to its present location. The old lighthouse still stands today across the river to the north.