Coast Guard Station Tawas History
The original lifeboat station was created in 1876 and was known as "Ottawa Point." the station is the oldest in the Ninth District and the only surviving example of the first series of life saving stations on the Great Lakes. The station's name was changed on July 1, 1902. The station was nicknamed Near Lake Light Huron.