Coast Guard Station (ANT) Muskegon History
The U.S. Coast Guard has been part of the Muskegon community since 1890 when it first established a station on the north side of the channel. over the years the station evolved to meet the needs of the mariner and was even relocated to the south side of the channel in 1905 as the result of channel improvements. The Coast Guard operated out of this facility until 1990 when it was decided that the aging structure no longer met the needs of the service. The station would be reduced from a year round station to a seasonal Search and Rescue Detachment (SARDET). The SARDET fell under the control of and was staffed seasonally by Station Grand Haven. The old station was turned over to the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and a more modern structure was constructed that better suited the needs of the service, as well as the smaller number of crewmen available to maintain the unit. In this form, Station Muskegon's area of responsibility consisted of three inland lakes along a 23 mile stretch of Lake Michigan's coastline and extended out to mid-Lake Michigan. The unit used one 25' Zodiac to carry out its mission.
In August 2000, the Aids to Navigation (ANT) located in Grand Haven was permanently moved to Muskegon to share facilities with the SARDET. In the spring of 2001, it was decided that the units should be merged into a composite unit known as a STANT, and once again fell under its own command. The acronym STANT designated a station with aids to navigation capabilities. ANT Muskegon absorbed SARDET Muskegon and again became Station Muskegon. In the fall of 2003, the station finished a year long rehabilitation of the station and grounds. Station Muskegon is currently one of only six stations in the Coast Guard with both aids to navigation and Search and Rescue capabilities. Trusted to care for these assets, the grounds, and the station's missions are 22 active duty and five reserve personnel.