The Investigations Division is responsible for investigating reports of:
- Marine accidents and casualties.
- Misconduct, negligence, incompetence or violations of law or regulation by credentialed merchant mariners, and when appropriate, present the government's case before an Administrative Law Judge.
- Violations of marine safety laws and regulations.
- Damage to Coast Guard maintained aids to navigation.
- Certain boating deaths, waterfront facility casualties and other incidents as directed.
- Internal command affairs as directed.
The Investigations Division is also responsible for conducting audits of marine employer drug testing programs.
These investigations seek to determine cause and detect violations of law/regulation which contributed to the casualty. It is the goal, that through these investigations similar incidents might be prevented.