Coast Guard Station Fairport History

The Fairport Harbor West Breakwater Light, on Lake Erie, is located near the end of the west breakwater at the mouth of the Grand River and was built in 1925, replacing the Grand River (Fairport Harbor) Light, which still stands and is now a marine museum. The light is automated and closed to the public. However, it is possible to walk out along the breakwater to view the structure and grounds. In 2006, an effort began by a group of community activists to take ownership of the lighthouse with the goal of preserving the facility for future generations. The United States Coast Guard will continue to maintain the light and foghorn as a navigational aid.