Coast Guard Station Cleveland Harbor History
The United States Lifesaving Service (ULSS) established its Cleveland station in 1875. In 1897, that station was relocated to the West Pier at the entrance to the Cuyahog River. In 1940, the old ULSS building was replaced with the modern version that still can be seen at the river's entrance today. In those times, the new building was revered as one of the "most modern structural designs for lifeboat stations on the Great Lakes."
In 1976 the Coast Guard moved the station from the West Pier to the pier on East 9th Street, the current location of the station today. The station was housed in several World War II era buildings, until recently when construction began work on new facilities for the base. On the October 16, 2012, the first phase of construction was completed and Station Cleveland Harbor took residence in their new facility.
Unit Information Sheet